I came across a great article about Exercise and Fitness Tips for Senior Citizens on DenverPost.com
Being a Senior Citizen myself, it is very important to know how to start an exercise program the right way. I have started many different types of exercise programs and injured myself before I even got started good. I hope if you are a senior citizen and thinking about starting an Exercise or Fitness Program, you will read this article first.
“Along with the cardiovascular benefits, a mix of aerobic and resistance training can lower blood pressure, improve circulation and increase bone density, an especially important issue in the aging.”
1. Check with your doctor and get an assessment of whether you’re ready for exertion.
2. Start out slowly, especially during the first month.
3. Learn some basic stretching exercises and perform them before and after you work out.
4. If you have never exercised, consider scheduling a session or two with a trainer.
5. Working out with a partner makes exercise for fun.
6. Try and get a good night’s sleep. That’s a key part of recovering between workouts.